Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Teen Titans Go!, Volume 4: Ready For Action

   I got in on the original Teen Titans cartoon boat really late. I started towards the very end, yet was excited by all the cool extra characters like Jericho, Aqualad, and such. As a result, when Teen Titans Go! hit airwaves, I was front on center for the first episode. 
   
   Needless to say, the more goofy take on the Teen Titans took a while to grow on me. But grow on me they did! Now I can't miss an episode. It's a permanent segment on my DVR. 
    
   However, I must point out some additional confusion between the original Teen Titans series and Teen Titans Go! When it comes to the comic book based on the original animated series, DC Comics issued the series as Teen Titans Go! See where I'm going with this???
  
    If you read my blog to any extent, you will know that my local library is one of my favorite places to pick up comics and graphic novels in order to save money. So when I saw this volume of Teen Titans Go! in the new release section last week, I went all Beast Boy over it. I'm pretty sure I exclaimed 'We got some Teen Titans Go! up in here, Yo!' 

     Anyways, so one night I grabbed this volume and began to read it.Almost immediately, I knew this is comic is not based on the goofy version of the Titans that currently airs on Cartoon Network. Nope, this series is based on the show that aired from 2003-2006 and was probably 80% serious.
    
   Confusing, huh? So to help- here's a chart:

   *If the Teen Titans GO! comic was originally published from 2003-2008, it's based on the first series.

   * If the comic Teen Titans Go! was published originally from 2014- the present, its based on the comedy series that came afterwards.

   Note: With DC reissuing the earlier collections with new covers, it's even more confusing. So double check original publication copyright dates.

Another Note: The reissues do not match up with the original trade paperback releases. Volume 4: Ready for Action (2005) reprints issues 16-20. This volume from 2017 reprints issues 19-25. So mix-and-matching volumes is not advised unless you like buying multiple copies of stories. 

   Now, don't misunderstand this clarification as a critique on my enjoyment of this book. These stories, that feature rock n' roll zombies, deadly video games, a Freaky-Friday like adventure and the heroes of Titans East, was a very laid-back read. Sometimes you just need the level of drama turned down a couple of notches and this volume did not disappoint. 
  
    Plus, there's a Christmas adventure which caused me great joy and consternation. I literally spent 15 minutes trying to decide whether to read it now or wait 6 more months. Can you guess which idea won out? To sum up the character of Cyborg:

IT'S CHRISTMAS IN JULY, PEOPLE!

   Worth Consuming!

    Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment