Sunday, May 27, 2018

Harley Quinn: Harley Loves Joker #2

Upon buying the second issue of this two-part  miniseries, I learned that this story isn't so much a sequel to the 1994 Batman: The Animated Series story Mad Love as a continuation of a 2017 story in the pages of the Harley Quinn Rebirth comic book series.

With that new knowledge, would I have bought issue #1? More than likely yes. Because I love Paul Dini's Harley. But I would have waited to read this until after I had a chance to read those backups first!

I do feel like this story plays off of Mad Love as Harley has a real metaphysical moment here where she's starting to realize that her relationship with the Joker is pretty toxic. I also liked the explanation as to why Harley Quinn changed her costume from crazed jester to insane roller derby enthusiast.

Once again, Bret Blevins art style goes from good to Good Lord! It starts out in this very neat and clean Amanda Conner kinda whimsy. But by the last page, it all looks like a Tex Avery cartoon. It would have been an okay style in which to do Harley Loves Joker. But Blevins just isn't consistent about his art style.

A very good Harley Quinn story. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Plus it doesn't help that the art is all over the place. Kinda annoying.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment