Saturday, July 28, 2018

Radioactive Man: A Radioactive Repository, Volume One

As a fan of the Simpsons comic books, I've come across a couple of single issues of Radioactive Man. I had noticed that some issues were numbered really high, like in the 6 and 700s. I thought it was quite odd as the Simpson title hadn't even hit the 200s yet (at the time.)

Well, at a recent library graphic novel rummage sale, I found this issue for just a few dollars and I ended up getting my answer about the high numbers. See in the Simpson universe, Radioactive Man has been going on since the 1940s. The books are published by Bongo Comics. In a unique art becomes life way, the real Bongo Comics issued several issues of Radioactive Man classic releases as they would have appeared on the shelf of the Kwik-E Mart.

The issues were from different decades of the history of Radioactive Man, going all the way to his 1940s origin to the swinging 60s and onto the grim 90s. To make the release of these books complete, Bongo went on to collect those issues as well as add in a few extras to create this compendium of the most important chapters in the life of Radioactive Man and his sidekick, Fallout Boy!

This book goes so far as to have the great Paul Dini (creator of Harley Quinn) to pen a forward about the history of how Radioactive Man came to be and his extensive run on stage, screen, and TV. 

It's all rather quite funny and silly. And to only pay $4, it was a freakin' steal. I can even overlook a few of the continuity errors, since I'm not really 100% sure if they were intentional or not. 

Bongo went on a few years later to put out a second set of classic issues. To my knowledge, there has never been a volume two. So, I've got several new books on my wish list. Amazon has a few copies for less than $20. Original SRP was $25.99, so there's a great chance to get a bargain. There's no Simpsons characters in this book. But the frequent and hilarious appearances of Richard Nixon make up for that.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment