Monday, July 30, 2018

Harley Quinn, Volume 3: Welcome to Metropolis

It's just too hot to be in Gotham right now. So Harley and Poison Ivy hightail it to Metropolis! If they're going to make it big in Superman's hometown, they've got to find a place to live, find jobs, and even make friends, like Jimmy Olsen and Bizarro!

Then Harley Quinn finds herself in the hottest water imaginable when she awakes in Hell. It's okay. This isn't a spoiler since the back of the book talks about Harley's final destination. 

A very interesting collection of stories. Many years ago, I saw a Bizarro Harley Quinn action figure and thought to myself that DC will do anything to sell action figures. Little did I know, that the Bizarro-Harley was taken from an actual comic! Okay, maybe this one was a spoiler. But these books are nearly 15 years old now!

Another interesting aspect of this volume is for an early 2000s book there is a frank depiction and defense of homosexuality. It's not something I have a problem with in this book. It's just how bent out of shape people are on social media about gays in comic books nowadays. Even though I wasn't actively collecting or reading comics at the time these Harley Quinn comics were being released new, I really do not recall people losing their minds over the same-sexual content of this series. 

Maybe I missed something. Well, there is one thing I miss- the utter civility of comic book fans, new and old in 2000-2005. 

Another great addition into the Harley Quinn mythos, though I wasn't so fond of the J'onn J'onnz storyline. It just didn't seem to fit. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment