Friday, August 24, 2018

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #41 (Family Comic Friday)


The Mystery Inc. gang are hired to protect heiress Penelope Pitstop from a menacing monster. Could it be that her pint sized saviors, the Ant Hill Mob, are behind the attacks? Or is this the work of her arch-enemy, the Hooded Claw?

This was a much different story than I was used to in Scooby-Doo Team-Up. I really am not familiar that much with either Wacky Raceland or the spin-off series The Perils of Penelope Pitstop. If I ever caught an episode of either as a child, it was often towards the end of the episode, while ending my cereal before the start of another day of vacation with my family. 

An interesting aspect of this story is the time difference. Penelope Pitstop's stand alone series was set during the 1920s. If her costume as well as the leader of the AHM's outfit were not dead giveaways, Google even says so! Usually the great Sholly Fisch will make some sort of joke about anachronisms in the decided upon team-ups, but he didn't this time. But with the inclusion of old timey narration boards, he does hit upon that roarin' twenties feel somewhat. But whether that sort of things was a part of the classic 70s cartoon is beyond my scope of knowledge. 

By the way, has anyone ever made the connection that Penelope Pitstop is a retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? Penelope is always in danger from an evil relative. Her rescuers are 7 tiny fellas with interesting quirks. One is always sleepy; another is always laughing. My favorite was Pockets. His zoot suit had extra storage for keeping just about anything. 

The artwork is by Looney Tunes comics artist Scott Jeralds. He usually does the artwork for the Hanna-Barbera team-ups. But with DC team-ups artist Dario Brizuela tackling an all-ages project for Marvel, I'm a little afraid that it will be Jeralds who handles my favorite crossovers. He's great at drawing the funny animals and other classic TV properties, but I do not want to lose Brizuela!

This was a very good read. Not my favorite in the series. But again, I prefer the DC teamings more. But this is still a great all-ages series and one of my very few monthly new release purchases.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment