Saturday, August 11, 2018

Fantastic Four #1 (2018)

I gotta admit- I bought into the hype. I could not control myself and on Wednesday, I purchased the first issue marking the return of the Fantastic Four. I must admit, Dan Slott did one heck of a job on this initial outing. 

Let's face facts though: the only reason the FF disappeared was due to Marvel and their parent company (especially) Disney being upset that Fox held the rights to the Fantastic Four. The idea was that without Marvel's First Family being in print, any TV show or movie starring them would flop. Needless to say, that the 2015 film being giant sacks of garbage, didn't help matters any; the PR move was the first in a long line of missteps by Marvel Comics.

The former Spider-Man writer, Dan Slott, did an pretty good job with this first issue. Unfortunately, it's not quite the reunion loyal fans were expecting. But Marvel promises that it will happen soon! If this series continues to exceed from the first issue, then I think this could be Marvel the publisher's first step to returning a two-way street of respect and appreciation for it's fans that has been lost for the past several years from the House of Ideas.

I liked Sara Pichelli's art. It was very clean and bold. I think if she stays on, it will become a fan favorite of not just mine but of many other readers.

The back-up story did not impress me much. It marks the return of Doctor Doom. I understand that Doom is the main villain just as Luthor is the foil to Superman. But they both lack the creative inspiration of a Green Goblin or a Joker do in order to make me excited when they are both used ad nauseam. 

If I had unlimited resources, I would add this Fantastic Four revival to my monthly pull list. I really love this team and I feel like some great things are in store. However, money is an issue for myself, so I will have to wait until the trade. But if you can afford the monthly adventures of the Richards family, I highly recommend this book!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment