Friday, March 8, 2019

ICYMI #2- A Family Comic Friday Extra!

UPDATE: Since the publication of this review, Peter Simeti, the founder and publisher of Alterna Comics was kind enough to inform me that ICYMI aims to reprint all 3 issues of Adam Wreck. Issue #2 will be reprinted in ICYMI #3 and the final chapter will run in ICYMI #4. Because each issue of Mr. Crypt is a stand alone issue, without a cliffhanger, only the first issue of that miniseries was reprinted. I misunderstood that only first issues were being reprinted.


I have corrected the mistaken information about the first issues only. I have also altered my rating score for the book HIGHER. However, my stance on ending cliffhangers in comics geared for kids and teens is unwavering and will not be removed from this review. Nor will my suggestion that Alterna publish all chapters of it's reprint series simultaneously. It is my opinion that in order to keep the next generation of readers reading comics, you can no longer expect them to wait lengthy periods for the second act.


Sometimes I just have so many all-ages books to share that I can’t contain it one review! For this Family Comic Friday Extra, I’ll be introducing you to ICMYI- the second run sampler of family fun titles from Alterna Comics!


ICMYI #2
Written and Illustrated by Michael S. Bracco
Published by Alterna Comics
Retail: $0.99


ICMYI (In Case You Missed It) is a new sampler title from Alterna Comics. Since 2006, the New England based publisher has released dozens of all-ages titles. But it’s really been in the past 2 years that the company has started to go from obscure indy publisher to comic book force to be reckoned with. That means that quite a few all-ages works have come and gone without much notice.

I’m really excited by this clever bit of marketing. The first issue reprinted the premier issue of Mr. Crypt, a title I’ve already done some reviewing of in the past. So I waited until issue #2 for a new-to-me title in which to share ICYMI with you.

Issue #2 reprints the first chapter of the 3 issue sci-fi adventure series Adam Wreck.
Adam is a youngster who has spent the past few years in outer space with his scientist parents. Being the only kid in the dark void of the unknown has been a boring and lonely way of life. But that’s all about to change when space pirates attack Adam’s ship.
Adam’s parents manage to get him to the sole escape pod before becoming captives of the pirates. With his vessel damaged upon landing, Adam must find a way off this new planet in order to find his parents. But first, Adam must survive the dangers lurking in every corner before he can formulate a rescue!

Adam Wreck was an exciting mix of Star Wars, Lost In Space and Indiana Jones. The artwork was a little bit rough for my taste. But the opening chapter was quite exciting. I loved the muted palette of colors comprised primarily of aqua blue, gray and orange used by Michael S. Bracco. And the price of only $.99 cents is always right to a bargain hunter such as myself.

When I was a kid, if a book ended with ‘to be continued’, I was immediately turned off because who knew when I was ever going to get back to the comic book store to get the next issue. My small town didn’t have an LCS and it was an almost 45-minute drive to the nearest one. So regular weekly trips wasn’t in the cards.

That’s the same with kids today. Families are so busy with school, after-school sports, music lessons, tutoring, and such that it’s not easy for kids to get regular trips to the comic book shop. I’ve argued and will continue to argue for publishers to eliminate cliffhangers in their comics aimed at kids. Especially, if the industry is to truly survive for the next generation, something needs to be done to not put off young readers with multipart stories. Plus, in a world where consumers can get the entire series of a show now on Netflix, to expect kids to wait 30 or 60 days for part 2 is an outdated way of thinking.

Alterna does have issues 2 and 3 of Adam Wreck available in a PDF digital format on it’s online store. Plus, kids can buy all 3 issues of Adam Wreck, autographed by the creator.

Don’t get me wrong- I think what Alterna Comics is doing to reintroduce it’s older family-friendly books back is brilliant. I just think that something needs to be done to provide kids with the entire story. Maybe for a book longer than 3 issues, Alterna could release simultaneously an ICYMI #2.1 and an issue #2.2 so that kids can purchase the entire story during one trip to the comic book store. Above all else, if Alterna is going to continue with just releasing the first issue, the publisher needs to make sure that print and not just digital copies of the rest of the series are readily available for sale at their online store.

ICYMI is a great idea that needs a little fine tuning in order to retain loyal comic book readers into the next generation. Alterna has an awesome library of titles and I look forward to seeing what’s in store for the future. I just hope I, along with other readers, young and old, will get a chance to get the entire story without much difficulty or wait.

ICYMI #2 debuts in store March 13th, 2019. All three issues of Adam Wreck are currently for sale in both print and digital formats at the Alterna official online store on Etsy.

For more Family Comic Friday and other reviews, check out my blog: Madman with a Book!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

This review was concurrently published on Outrightgeekery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment