Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The Valiant

I know that I am not very familiar with Valiant Entertainment. But I think it is safe to say that this 2015 miniseries from Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt is this publisher's Crisis on Infinite Earths.

For 10 centuries, the Eternal Warrior has struggled to protect the Geomancers. These special people are the living embodiment of the planet and have the power to create life on earth and maintain a harmonious balance. Seeking to keep the world in chaos is the Immortal Enemy, who has a pretty impressive track record of defeating the Eternal Warrior's efforts. 

The Immortal Enemy returns every 100 years. His latest return is imminent. Only this time, the Eternal Warrior has a slew of allies to help him protect the latest Geomancer, Kay McHenry. Enter: The Valiant.

While just about every rebooted Valiant Entertainment character is presented in this book, I was unimpressed with the use of these resources. There's some great battle scenes by Paolo Rivera. But that's the only time you will see characters such as Archer, Quantum and Woody (and the Goat!), Faith and others. None of which have any dialogue. Even though Crisis had 30 times as many characters, I never felt that any one character was underused. That's pretty much my only complaint.

I loved the story and the artwork. I was introduced to several characters that I've yet to really be introduced to, such as Ninjak and Bloodshot. Both of which I am now very interested in reading more about.

The Valiant was quite good. Unfortunately, it wasn't properly balanced for a story that would unite an entire universe of characters. I think only having 4 issues in which to tell the tale was what limited the scope. That, plus I think Lemire and Kindt's schedules prevented these two talents from devoted extra time to a 5th, 6th or further along issue.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment