Thursday, May 23, 2019

America's Best TV Comics #1

A comic book grail. This one had been on my wish list for a very long time. And while I am very excited to own it (as well as to have gotten a very good deal), I was a tiny bit disappointed about some of the content. 

Both the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man stories are abridged reprints. Okay, sure. I was foolish to think that the Marvel stories would have been new material. But the editing was a little sloppy. You'd go from one scene to another and yet there were be some really bad plot holes. So the editing wasn't very good. But the stories themselves were classics!

The other stories were of shows that also were to air on Saturday morning cartoons on ABC in the fall of 1967. I know that the Casper story was probably a reprint. But I'm not sure if the stories involving King Kong, George of the Jungle and Journey to the Center of the Earth were or not. I'm assuming the the latter was a comic book reprint of sorts as in one scene the heroes are going around and corner and in the next panel, they are surfing down a lava flow astride giant leaves. 

Okay- reprint or not; that story was a real stinker!

My favorite thing about this comic was all of the vintage ads for classic TV shows such as The Flying Nun, the live action Batman series and Custer! They made a TV show about George Custer? The biggest loser in Army history? Really??? Yikers.

This was a time capsule in a comic book. A true cool find. Maybe not 100% how I envisioned it all these years. But I don't feel like my money was wasted on this either!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment