Friday, May 31, 2019

Encounter, Volume 1: Out of This World (A Family Comic Friday Extra!)

I reviewed the first issue a while back as part of one of my Family Comic Friday columns. While I enjoyed that book, I felt that should I ever get my hands on the collected edition, I would review this separately as I didn't want to take away from reviewing another all-ages book. But since then, I have started do Family Comic Friday Extras. So here goes...

Encounter, Volume 1: Out of This World
Written and illustrated by Art Baltazar, Franco & Chris Giarusso
Published by Lion Forge
Pages: 136
Retail: $12.99


Encounter is a shape-shifting alien who has sought refuge on planet earth. While on our planet, he has made it his mission to protect several mysterious pods that bear the same green polka dots that he does. In order to earn money, Encounter poses as a baker. But because of those darn dots he bears, he must turn his bakery into an Encounter themed shop. You can't expect Encounter to give up his secret identity, now can you?

It's not easy being a super hero. Especially now, as a series of villains have come to town demanding those pods. It will take all the help from his super powered sidekick, Barko and the neighboring owner of the local comic book store and his niece to help keep those orbs from the hands of the baddies! 

I love Art Baltazar and Franco (Tiny Titans)! I love Chris Giarusso (G-Man)! Having all 3 working on a comic book together is all-ages gold! 

Their art style is timeless. Their sense of humor is steeped in comic book lore. And all three creators just want to create fun comics for the whole family to enjoy!

This volume covers the first 5 issues of Encounter. There's a volume 2 that just came out in March that covers issues 6-10. I'm really hoping there will be more after that. But it's been about 6 months since the last issue debuted. I'm not really sure what the delay is. In fact, there may not be a delay at all and issue #10 was the last we'll see of Encounter and friends.
I hope that is not the case; but it's real possibility.

Encounter has something for the whole family. The main features have bigger words and more complex plots for those aged 8-12. The secondary tales are simplified for readers 4-7. The villains are zany. The townsfolk are goofy. And every once in a while you have to do a double take because the in-jokes are really surreal. But this is wholesome stuff that will make parents and guardians very happy!

Encounter, Volume 1: Out of This World debuted in print and digital formats on October 2, 2018.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

And be sure to be on the lookout for my regular FCF column later this afternoon!



No comments:

Post a Comment