Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Star Wars #108

Last month, Marvel released a facsimile edition of issue #50 of it's original Star Wars series. Knowing that for it's 80th anniversary that the House of Ideas was going to be releasing the 108th issue to the now non-canon comic that ran from 1977-86, I wondered why Marvel wasn't re-releasing issue #107. A week or two later, a True Believers $1 reprint of the final issue of Star Wars was released. But for the life of me, I couldn't understand what made that anniversary issue so gosh darn worthy of such a premium edition instead of the finale. 

Now thanks to finally getting my hands on a copy of this issue, I got my answer!

Star Wars #50 contained a one-shot story called 'The Crimson Forever.' This story, written and illustrated by Archie Goodwin, Al Williamson and Walt Simonson, is considered a classic and perhaps the best or one of the best of the entire first volume. It involves a pair of gems that when separated caused a deadly plague and some revenge against both the Empire and Rebellion at the hands of a woman whose brother died during the Battle of Yavin. Issue #108 is a completion of the story.

Another element of the original that was a fan favorite involved a cyborg bounty hunter named Valance. Knowing the identity of the pilot who destroyed the first Death Star, Valance seemingly met his fate in a battle with Darth Vader, sacrificing himself rather than give up that important information. Well, for those fans of this baddie with a heart of microchips, his story is also continued... in a way. 

There's quite a few fan favorites here. The hoojibs! The prim but pretty deadly Amazi. And the green space bunny Jaxxon!

What, you didn't like Jaxxon? He's a way better character than Jar Jar Binks ever was. So he looked like a nauseous Bugs Bunny. At least he was a compelling character that I didn't wish dead.

Noticeably absent is Lando! Where's he at? He appears on the cover of issue #107. So it's not like he up and disappeared. Or maybe he did and I just don't remember. 

This Legends issue was a welcome return to the Star Wars timeline I grew up with. I miss it so. But I am appreciative that Disney and Marvel understands that while it may no longer fit with their plans of the Star Wars Universe, there still are paying customers who remember that era and desire it's return!

Featuring several writers and artists including Matthew Rosenberg, Ben Passmore and Giuseppe  Camuncoli, I loved the varying art style. It's like getting to work on some sort of dream project. Just about everyone wanted a chance to work on it and Marvel did a wonderful job selecting some of the best Star Wars talent on the market today. I also appreciate having some of the original creators of on hand. Jo Duffy and Simonson contributed in their own ways with plotting and such.

Sadly, both Williamson and Goodwin have passed. Yet, Marvel managed to bring back the late Carmine Infantino for a special edition cover. While I liked his cover and Simonson's offering, I had to go with Michael Golden's cantina shoot-out cover (JAXXON!). But it was a hard choice, because I also really liked John Tyler Christopher's action figure variant of Valance. In the end I still think I made the right choice. But it was a tough decision.

Purchasing issue #108 was a no-brainer. I loved the original Marvel run and I wanted to see that version of Star Wars once again. I don't often say it but Thank You, Marvel! Here's to another return soon! 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment