Sunday, June 9, 2019

Amazing Spider-Man: Secret Origins


An amazing assortment of Spider-Man tales from Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Romita! The first appearance of Spidey, The Lizard, Flash Thompson! The revenge of Electro. The death of Captain Stacy. Plus a modern-day fantasy in which Peter visits the grave of Uncle Ben on a frosty Christmas day.

This collection was released to correspond with 2012's Amazing Spider-Man film. I remember Electro being in the second film but not in the first. So, wasn't it a massive spoiler having that villain appear in this book? 

The art and story work is second to none. While many consider Ditko the original master, I think I'm more partial to Romita's time on the wall-crawler. Arguably, Peter Parker is the biggest sad sack in the Marvel Universe. But Stan Lee was able to make the super hero equivalent of Eeyore a compelling, exciting and fun character. 

These stories have been reprinted at least a dozen times. I've always said that if my wife wasn't so terrified by spiders, Spidey would be my all-time favorite super-hero hands down. That being the case, I would own this issues in some collected treasury. I've worked out a compromise for certain Spider-Man titles with my wife. Thus I don't have those premium collections. So, finding this book for a super deal at Ollie's was a great way for me to enjoy some classics that are old hat for true fans of Peter Parker's alter-ego!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment