Monday, October 14, 2019

Wolverine/Nick Fury:The Scorpio Connection


This is one of those titles I had when I was a kid. For Christmas one year, my mom bought me a slew of stuff that I am guessing the owner of my favorite comic book store recommended. Because at the age of 10 or so, I was not a fan of Wolverine. In fact, I think you could easily say that a child under the age of 13 shouldn't have owned this book. 

The Scorpio Connection is a super-spy story at it's very best. Archie Goodwin and Howard Chaykin pepper in plenty of ultra-high tech gadgets, eccentric villains and action scenes galore. But with the host of alluring femme fatales and James Bond level of sex and sex appeal, this is PG-13 material at best. 

While I am sure that whomever recommended this book to my mother for purchase was building upon the fact that in the late 1990s, Wolverine was more popular than most comic book heroes out their; I ended up becoming a Nick Fury fan for life because of this graphic novel!

Fury's arch-enemy, Scorpio is apparently back from the dead. Being as Scorpio is/was also Nick estranged brother, this suspected resurrection is quite personal for the head of SHIELD. 

The return of this super villain is also personal for the X-Man, Wolverine; but for different reasons. One of the operatives killed is a close personal friend of the mutant. An agent that once saved his life back when Logan was working for Canada's counter intelligence team. 

With family honor and a blood oath at stake, Nick Fury and Wolverine will team up on an errand of justice that will take them through just about every continent on earth!

Archie Goodwin (Star Wars) pens a tale of international intrigue that ranks up their with the likes of SHIELD legends Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steranko! Add to it the very 80s art style of American Flagg's Howard Chaykin and you've got one of the best Nick Fury tales ever told. 

This is a book I first read 30 years ago. I never forgot it, despite being stolen years later. I was so excited to find this book at a used book store! Even more excited to read it again. Unlike some books I read as a kid and love and then hated when I re-read it again older, The Scorpio Connection did not disappoint. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment