Saturday, April 25, 2020

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

With today being the chosen date for the annual Dewey's 24-Hour Read-A-Thon, I decided to finish up this amazing book by writer Michael Pollan.

A journalism professor and contributor to the New York Times Magazine, Pollan has become a sort of de facto expert on food culture. I found this book while I was working (for trade credit) at one of my favorite places on earth; Dog-Eared Books

Pollan crafts 64 rules on how to properly eat and consume food. His views encourage us to follow the Mediterranean diet, avoid the 'white' foods- flour, sugar and unrefined grains. Pollan also warns against processed foods, praises organics and recommends that our food sources be local. I'm pretty much for his views. 

Well... except for the organics. The idea is good. But truly until the FDA and USDA changes their way too lax guidelines for what growing methods constitute organic, I'm not going to shell out my hard earned cash. Though, I may be more persuaded to research the techniques used to growing my fruits in veggies to ensure that it truly is organic. So, I might follow that rule. But it's going to take some additional research on my part.

I loved this book. So much, that I have plans to add it to my culinary curriculum next year. I want to teach 63 of the 64 rules to my students on making wise food choices as aspiring chefs. One rule, (#43) encourages drinking a glass of wine with dinner. I don't think that I can encourage high-schoolers to imbibe some vino during lunch period. 

Food Rules is required reading. Not only should the next generation of eaters and chefs read this book. You and I should too! Pollan does think you have to follow all of the rules at once. But one or two small changes (at a time) can do wonders. 

Doing so might not just change how we eat. It may very well change the whole culinary industry. Heck, we might just change the world. I can live with that!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment