Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Perhaps my least favorite book in the Discworld series. 

Con man turned Ankh-Morpork's postmaster general, Moist Von Lipwig, has been given a new assignment. Lord Vetinari want's Moist to head up one of the city's banks. With Moist's experience with money, he'd be more at home holding up the bank. 

But there's some secrets buried deep in the vaults of the old bank and the Patrician puts Moist in charge in hopes of getting to the bottom of things. If Moist ends up changing the way citizens look at money by incorporating a new current- so be it. The rest of the bank's board members won't be happy with their new leader. But then again, Moist isn't really all that happy with this new assignment either. 

I will say that this book is filled with a ton of extra characters and that made me happy. Most of the City Watch pops up. So does quite a few wizards, a certain hot dog vendor, as well as a host of dwarfs, postmen and a golem who is going through a sort of identity crisis. The only thing missing were one or more of the Wyrd Sisters. 

Making Money is basically the second book of a trilogy that stars Moist Von Lipwig. There may have been more books on the way, but Pratchett's untimely death, and his daughter's insistence that no further Discworld books will even be published, might have paved the way for these books being known as the 'Von Lipwig Trilogy'.  

Maybe I should have read book 1 first. But I didn't have book one and I surely didn't want to start with book 3, which I also have. Social distancing has made other things a priority at the moment. And when you want to read Terry Pratchett, you'll take what you can get. 

I'm trying to be fair here with this rating. But there were a couple of characters that I absolutely hated. In fact, at least one of them felt just totally unnecessary. The ending solution was pretty awesome. And I love the Patrician, and Carrot and Sam Vimes and all three have some big roles here! That's a plus. But this still isn't my favorite book. It actually knocks Carpe Jugulum up a notch. 

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment