Monday, November 2, 2020

Halloween Eve One-Shot

Eve is a aspiring fashionista who hates Halloween. Unfortunately, Eve happens to work at a costume shop and it's the night before Halloween. Forced by her boss to dress up on All Hallow's Eve, the shop clerk is just not in a good mood. Especially when her attitude gets earns her an overtime shift cleaning up the destruction left in the wake of a horde of last-minute costume hunters. 

Waking late into the night, Eve takes her frustrations out on the store mannequins. But when a mask talks back to the young lady, Eve finds herself falling down a spiraling well all the way to Halloween Land!

It took me until the last page of the story that I figured out that this story was a retelling of the Wizard of Oz. All the characters Eve meets in Halloweenland are the people she works with. I kinda figured out that the champion of the mystical land Eve visits was the guy who sorta has an crush on her. But I didn't realize that the pumpkin, knight and devil were her fellow colleagues. 

Once I had that a-ha moment, I kinda dug this story more. But it did take me a while to figure out that puzzle. I really should have figured that out from this one-shot's cover. But I didn't. How dumb am I?

That ending was really quite good. The art got even more better. Those last couple of panels of Eve by artist Amy Reeder Hadley. Wow. Truly, very stunning. 

A holiday dollar bin find that was a treat, not a trick. Unfortunately, it was a tiny bit over my head.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment