Saturday, November 28, 2020

Walt Disney Uncle Scrooge

I found this 1979 collection of Uncle Scrooge stories at my favorite thrift shop right before the pandemic. I started reading it immediately but it wasn't until yesterday that I finished it. That's because of the inclusion of Uncle Scrooge's very first appearance titled 'Christmas On Bear Mountain.' As a major fan of holiday comics, I just couldn't pass up a chance to read that Christmas themed story during the holiday season. 

All of these stories were crafted by the legendary Carl Barks. With over a dozen stories, this fantastic treasury of Disney Duck stories reinvigorated my childhood love of Uncle Scrooge and the TV series Ducktales. (I was such a fan growing up, I once got to meet the animators for that show and I still have the sketch of McDuck one of them made for me!)

The biggest problem I had with these reprints were how small the panels were. Every one of them is roughly the size of a deluxe postage stamp. It does make for some migraine inducing reading. But I think if the size of the panels were any bigger, you wouldn't get as many tales as you do in this book. Magica de Spell, The Beagle Boys, and Flintheart Glomgold rear their ugly heads in this book. They are inspirations for Ducktales along with some legendary stories that also star Donald, Huey, Dewy and Louie with a return to McDuck's Scottish Highland roots, his Klondike gold mining days and much, much more.

Be sure not to overlook the introductory articles on Carl Barks as well as a near verbatim transcript of Scrooge's very first appearance in animated form. Both are fun looks at the early days of Uncle Scrooge. Though, I am not really sure whats going on with the photos in the Barks interview. There's tons of beautiful pics of a recent vacation of Barks and his wife. But they aren't in any of them. Odd.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment