Monday, December 14, 2020

Katy Keene Special #33

Despite the cover, there's no beating the heat in this holiday themed issue. But that's okay with me! As long as it's not a Scrooge- whereas the cover is seasonal and the interior is all something else. Now not every story is Christmas related. But at least two stories have that yule tide spirit and that's enough for me.

The main yarn is a festive story involving supermodel Katy Keene getting all her wealthy friends together to help support an ailing children's hospital during the holidays. Then there's a short in which Katy gets her sister a video game for Christmas. Being an Archie Comic, it's got that typical one-liner ending. There's a third short story that is at least set during Winter. But it's not a Christmas tale.

The final adventure involves a character dreaming about Amelia Earhart. I was wondering why this story was included and I think I've got my answer. Despite promises of future editions, issue #33 would be the last of the series. With exception of a couple of issues of a Katy Keene Digest title (that would be cancelled before Summer, 1990) there would not be another Katy Keene comic published again until 2019 with a miniseries release in anticipation of the live-action Lucy Hale series that aired on TheCW. So, I think Archie was trying to empty it's inventory.

For a 30 year old Archie Comic, this one isn't so bad. The Archie titles went through a slump in the 90s. But you don't see evidence of it here. In fact, I thought this series was pretty innovative what with a number of the outfits in these stories were designed by fans. I appreciated how the editors gave credits to those readers for their contributions.

Before I close this review, I wanted to point out an oddity. I love to read over every single aspect of an old comic. There was a letter from the editor inside. In it, he talks about his writers and artists that would be attending a Con. One of the artists listed was Dan Parent, who happens to be my favorite Archie artist of all time. With this book being 30 years old- just how old is that guy? From his Facebook page, he looks early 40s. What was he in 1990? 12???

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment