Friday, December 11, 2020

Leave It To Chance: Trick or Threat & Other Stories

Leave It To Chance. I've seen the books that make up the series in my local library. But I've never read them. With my library having been closed since May, I had not gotten an opportunity to check out all-ages stuff unless it's a part of my collection. Then in October, when my local (and favorite) comic book store reopened, I found this book for sale on discount.  

Based on the fact that the title story is a Halloween set tale, I was going to read this as part of my Halloween 2020 reading. But when I came across a Christmas story included in the mix, I waited until now to finish it up.

The plot of Leave It To Chance is about the daughter of a famed occultist and paranormal investigator. Chance's father does not want her to follow in the family business. But no matter what the young lady does, it seems that supernatural mischief follows Chance everywhere. From a young boy's pet Capuchin monkey being kidnapped in order to enact a Halloween spell to a classmate getting kidnapped by a phantom during a holiday trip to the local mall, it's up to Chance and her pat dragon, St. George, to save the day!

There were 13 issues in the series. But with budgeting issues, production delays and scheduling conflicts, it took over 3 years for the entire storyline to run it's course. As a result, the 3 volumes that comprise Chance's story are not given numbers. 'Trick or Threat & Other Stories' cover the middle chunk of Leave It To Chance. But that's okay. The stories are fairly self-contained for the most part. 

With swift storytelling and super clean art, I really did enjoy this book. So much, that I have no qualms with adding the other two unnumbered volumes to my wish list!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment