Friday, December 25, 2020

Marvel Classics Comics Series #36

The Marvel Bullpen of 1978 presents Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. 

Marvel Classics Comics Series ran for 36 issues. I've been trying to collect this entire series. So finding out that this finale was Christmas related was a double bonus.

I love the story of Scrooge, a trio of seasonal ghosts and Tiny Tim. I make it a point to read at least one version of the story every year. And this version from the House of Ideas was the one I selected. This adaptation felt fresh to me. There were a few aspects of the Dickens tale that I have never noticed before. As the dialogue seemed to be almost directly taken from the original script, I am not sure if those aspects are due to artistic license or just things I've never noticed before. 

One thing that still sticks in my crawl is the whole idea of the 3 ghosts visiting Scrooge. If you read over Marley's account of how Scrooge will be visited by them spectors, it seems like the whole story will take place over 3 nights. So Ebeneezer shouldn't get into the holiday until at least December 28th- morning time. Yet without fail- and without explanation- the whole event occurs on Christmas Eve night going into Christmas morn. 

Maybe I just don't understand Victorian Era time. 

Lastly, I want to mention the introduction. It was an enlightening account of Charles Dickens' life. However, the year given in which Dickens divorces his wife is listed as earlier than the year they get married. This series was recently released as a deluxe omnibus. I wonder if the 42 year old typo was caught during the remastering process or not...

A great adaptation. It's got some flaws. But I really enjoyed this version. It was quite festive. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment