Thursday, December 24, 2020

The New Adventures of Superboy #39


The Kents have a visitor for the holidays. A fellow classmate of Clark's is having to stay with Jonathan and Martha as the lad's parents are traveling without him. This puts the student in a foul mood. In response, Clark decides to become Superboy and show him an alternate earth that doesn't celebrate Christmas. 

The planet Superboy travels to is a polluted, war torn mess. Townsfolk prey upon the meek- such as this earth's Clark Kent! Can Superboy and his classmate restore the Christmas spirit to this world's Smallville. Or is peace on earth completely doomed?

I enjoyed a large chunk of this story. I wonder if a return story was ever done to this multiverse realm. I liked the twist ending. But as much as I am a fan of Paul Kupperberg, I have one issue with this story. Why is Clark Kent on this troubled earth such a weenie? Why isn't he super-powered? Is the sun for this planet the wrong color and thus Clark can't become Superboy? This oversight is really overlooked. Thus another reason why I feel that there's was more to this world than what was published in this tiny issue.

I wasn't such a fan of the secondary story. It was another chapter in the Dial H for Hero saga. I always liked the creativity of this story. But so much plot was wasted on a bus accident that if it was scraped, we wouldn't have had to deal with a stinking cliffhanger. 

An unusual type of festive story. But once again, there's a story included that doesn't give me closure. At least it wasn't the cover story that enticed me to buy this one.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment