Friday, March 18, 2022

The Time Museum Book 1 (Family Comic Friday)

Written and Illustrated by Salt Water Taffy's Matthew Loux, The Time Museum was one of the most refreshing and brilliantly smart graphic novels for older elementary school grade readers that I have read in a very long time. 

In the debut book, young Delia Bean has just learned that her beloved Uncle Lyndon is actually a time traveler. The founder and curator of the Time Museum, it's Lyndon's job to prevent tears in the space-time continuum from destroying time itself.

Seeing promise in Delia's abilities, the youngster is chosen to participate in the Time Museum's intern program. But first, she must earn a spot against 5 other candidates in a trio of tests arranged throughout history, past and future!

During her tests, Delia meets another time traveler. A mysterious man who calls himself the Grey Duke. Is he friend or foe? Or maybe a little of both? 

I completely loved this book. The characters are perfectly written. The concept is creative and there are a bunch of mysteries that I must know the answers to! And I love the relationship, albeit ever so cautious, between Delia and the Grey Duke. It's a lot like the one between the Doctor and River Song. Now, I'd go more in depth on this. But I am afraid I'd spoil things. True, this book was written in 2017. But I would hate to spoil the surprises in this amazing story.

Being a book from 2017 is also a downside to me. Thankfully, there is a book 2 out there for me to read. But that book dropped in 2019. It's 2022 and I don't see a third volume on the horizon. Maybe Matthew Loux wraps things up nicely in that book. But I would hate for such a promising series to be confined to only a pair of reads. 

I guess I'll just have to read that sequel and find out for myself. 

So if the young reader in your life likes time travel, history, intriguing mysteries and maybe some thunder lizards, then a trip through the Time Museum might be in your family's future. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment