Thursday, August 17, 2023

Richie Rich: Vaults of Mystery #28

A villain from Richie Rich's past returns. Known as the Iceman, this fiend has the ability to freeze things. When Richie uses a heat ray gun that he borrows from Rich Labs, he accidentally turns the Iceman into the Scorcher! Now with the ability to produce intense flames, you won't believe what the Poor Little Rich Boy used to cool off this hot shot baddie. Or maybe you will. This comic was published by Harvey Comics...

Then Richie gets the upper hand over a girl who tries to scare his girlfriend Gloria.

Lastly, a bogus fortuneteller tries to separate Richie Rich from some of his money. But in a strange series of events, just plain dumb luck keeps dogging the swindling swami at every turn. 

Vaults of Mystery was known by Harvey Comics fans to be a series that was a bit more mature than its numerous Richie Rich sister series. In an earlier issue I've read and reviewed, Rich is shot at, kidnapped and his pop even packs a piece! Now just 14 issues later and that saccharine humor mixed with misunderstandings and happenstance just oozes through every page. I don't like it. I don't know why, but I prefer the edgier Richie Rich. I don't want Cadbury to die in a hail of bullets or anything like that. I guess with the more serious storytelling, I feel more mature. 

Honestly, I'm not surprised someone hasn't rebooted Richie Rich into a grittier, unfeeling rich boy yet.  It would be perfect fodder in the vein of Riverdale or Nancy Drew. Oh, don't worry. It's coming soon one day. But until then, it's a MEH from me.

Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment