Saturday, August 19, 2023

Saga, Volume Two

Volume 2 of Brian K. Vaughn's award winning Saga sees some lineup changes. Hazel's grandparents, Marko's mom and dad, arrive after answering what they thought was a distress beacon. The Will, all of the known universe's most feared bounty hunter is still obsessed with freeing that young girl from sex slavery. That's all very noble. But without any cash or a good plan for rescue, there's very little that the Will can do. That is until another blast from Marko's past makes themselves known; his very jilted fiancee!

Meanwhile, Prince Robot IV is suffering from PTSD from his recent experiences in the great intergalactic war. Plus the Blue-blood really pissed the Will off when the prince killed a fellow bounty hunter, so the royalty is trying to lay low. As he examines a sleazy romance novel that was a favorite of Alana's, Prince Robot IV thinks he's cracked the code to why Marko and Alana fell in love in the middle of a prisoner of war camp. However as Vaughn and artist Fiona Staples shows us how the two members of opposing warring races actually meet, I think the prince is really grasping at straws.

And then that climatic last page might have just proved me wrong!

I really should have checked out more than just one volume of Saga from my local library. I was afraid of a sophomore slump. Yet nothing could be further from the truth here. The story keeps getting more engrossing. Sure, there's just as much sex. A lot of violence. Still, Vaughn gives this entire universe heart. I had to read ahead, fearful a beloved character was killed off. (SPOILER- they weren't). Then I had my heart broken when a new, adorable character was introduced and wantonly killed off in a most gruesome way almost immediately. 

Next time I head to the library, I am gonna have to make sure I get more than just Volume 3, because it's just killing me not knowing what happens next!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment