Saturday, March 28, 2015

Cartoon Network Free Comic


Cartoon Network #1
  Free Comic Book Day didn't start until 2002. With this free comic being issued in 1997, I'm not sure why DC issued this book. Most freebies before the rise of FCBD usually were released in conjunction with an event- like the first day of the World's Fair or during the release of a new movie. Sometimes collectors could send away for a free comic if they collected enough UPC codes or you could garner a freebie by stopping by a car dealership or other business.

    With those comics, the sponsor was listed on the cover. Since you couldn't physically stop by Cartoon Network to pick one of these up and there isn't a barcode on the cover, it's a bit of a mystery as to how this book was obtained. (I found it in a grab bag a few months ago.) This comic contains three stories- all reprints from previous Cartoon Networked licensed comics published by DC Comics. So my guess is that you could get this book at your local comics shop either for free or with the purchase of another title.

   The first story starred the characters on the books cover- Cow & Chicken. It's reprinted from 'Cartoon Networks Presents #6,' an anthology showcase of other CN shows like Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, and of course Cow & Chicken. In this adventure, Cow teaches her brother Chicken about recycling. The art looked like it was from the creator's of Ren & Stimpy. It's got some gross humor like on the classic 90s show as well. It's a good thing I'm a fan of Ren & Stimpy. But can somebody explain to me just how a cow and chicken are brother and sister?

   The next tale stars the Mystery Machine gang as they try to save Daphne from an obsessed fan. Added to the mix, this stalker originally was the suspect of one of the gang's earliest cases. So instead of blaming those meddling kids, this guy decided to create more monsters for the team to investigate so that he could get closer to the gang's fiery red head. An interesting story but it's a little creepy if you get to the bottom of it.

   The final yarn is set in the distant future. Here, Mr. Spacely tests out a robot George Jetson in hopes of replacing his human workforce. Things seem to go great when the unit is beta tested at the Jetson home. It makes poor George feel a little unwanted.  But at work, the robot goofs off more than the Jetson family patriarch saving George's place at Spacely Sprockets at least.

    Cartoon Network was a fun trip down memory lane. I didn't buy these when I was younger, but my sister, who was 12-years younger than I, did. I'd often read these to her or I'd find her old copies lying around and I'd read them if I was bored. These days, I might find an issue or two in a dollar bin and donate them to the reading program I started at my wife's work. But now that I remember the quality of these Cartoon Network comics, I'm going to make use I read them first before handing them off.

    Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment