Sunday, March 29, 2015

Firestorm: The Nuclear Man #4 (1978)


Firestorm (1978) #4
   There's a new hero in the Big Apple. Dressed as a Hyena ( as well as named), and just as fierce, this vigilante seems to have a vendetta against organized crime. But when he strikes out against New York's finest, it clear that the big city has a wild card on the loose. Unfortunately, any sort of conflict between the Hyena and Firestorm will have to wait until the next issue!

   This is one of those times when the book's cover doesn't match up with it's contents. I call this a 'Death of Sad Sack Cover' which is a joke from the Simpsons about being faked out by phony covers. This time, the cover bears an epic battle between the Nuclear Man and the Hyena. However, this issue ends before the two foes ever throw a punch at each other. This would normally tick me off and while it is a pet peeve of mine, at least I have the next issue on hand. (I try really hard to have a complete series collected before I read them. It makes for a long journey, but the benefits are worth it to read an entire run without interruption.)

   The art was much better than the previous issue and I thought the writing was quite good too. Though I really hated the opening splash page which depicts some bastards clubbing baby seals. It's pretty gruesome with at least one club oozing brain matter and viscera. I'm very glad that Firestorm gave these guys a bit of their own medicine.

    Speaking of the previous issue, I commented that Doctor Stein seemed very stoic after having seen most of the men at the polar research station he was visiting killed by Killer Frost. Well, I don't know if fans complained about the lack of emotion but it was revealed at the beginning of this issue that Firestorm was able to save the lives of most of the men. So, I guess it's okay that Dr. Stein wasn't so upset about that aspect.

    However, with a very short ending in issue #3 and with this issue's cover not matching its content I'm getting a fairly good idea why this series only lasted 5 issues.

   Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment