Saturday, March 21, 2015

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, Volume 1


Ultimate Marvel Team-Up (2001-2002) #TP Vol 1 Variant A

This collection of 5 stories was written as a potential blueprint for expanding the Ultimate universe. At the time these issues were published, the only Ultimate title starred Spider-Man. So, expect to be a little confused, if like me, you’ve read a lot of Ultimate stuff before you come to this and the plots and background stories don't seem to match what you already know about Wolverine, Iron Man, and the Hulk. When those heroes appear in these stories it is their first ever Ultimate appearances. So, like many pilot episodes (on TV), these are really rough drafts of the exciting things yet to come.

   The first story presents Wolverine as a metrosexual wuss than an unbridled animal. Sabretooth, in his bushy fur coat, wasn't any better.  I was really beginning to hate this series, when in issue 3, I realize that Hulk’s rampage in New York is what results in Banner being incarcerated at the beginning of Ultimates #1. Also, we come to a great 2-issue Iron Man tale by Mike and Laura Allred. Getting to experience anything done by the Allreds is always a nice unexpected surprise. 

   One thing about this book that ticked me off a little was that I've previously read both the Wolverine and the Iron Man team-ups before. Iron Man's story was reprinted in the Best of Spider-Man Volume 1. I can't recall where I encountered the Wolverine tale before off the top of my head, but I know I have. The Hulk story was the only one not reprinted (thus far or as much as I can tell.) Being reprinted in other formats and trades won't swear me off of getting volume 2 and 3 of this series. But since there is a chance I might have stumbled upon those issues in another format already, I will make sure I don't spend more than half of the cover price when I do come across them. 

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

   







No comments:

Post a Comment