Friday, December 9, 2016

Spookhouse #2 (Family Comic Friday)

 I had another book on schedule for today. I had heard good things about it from friends on Facebook. So when I came across the book that I am reviewing now, yesterday, I knew that it was an opportunity I just couldn't pass it up.
The title is called Spookhouse, a horror comic aimed at kids who love a good scare with a humorous twist. In the vein of the Goosebumps series from the 90s (recently turned into a major motion picture flop), this comic book has some real scares. Created by Eric Powell (The Goon), Spookhouse is set up like an old school horror comic from the 50s with a host, a plethora of short stories and some frightfully fun treats in between.
   The first story is about a young boy whose belief in trolls gets him into hot water with his teacher. Then a young girl from Japan accidentally brings a malevolent specter with her to her first day of class in America. Rounding out the issue, a pair of brothers run afoul of their next door neighbor.
    Spookhouse wasn’t gory. The language was tame. And I even laughed a couple of times. But some artwork might be a bit too scary for kids under the age of 9. It reminds me of a series of horror anthologies that I'd check out from my elementary school library called Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark where the frights were fun but some images from the book still haunt my nightmares. Also, parents should be advised that while the book is tame, the advertisement in the back of Spookhouse for other works by Powell are not for kids!
    A cool series that has much promise. However, since it’s published by Powell’s own private publishing company Albatross Exploding Funny Books, it may be hard to find. But any comics shop worth it’s salt should carry it- you just might have to ask…

  Worth Consuming


  Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment