Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Archer & Armstrong, Volume 1: The Michelangelo Code

One is an ancient immortal warrior who has seen it all, done it all, and has the dad bod to prove it.

One is an enhanced teenage fighting machine, bred and trained for the sole purpose of completing the mission: Destroy Armstrong!

When the two meet, they uncover a global conspiracy as old as Armstrong himself. This Illuminati known as the 1% is seeking to find the super weapon that gave Armstrong his powers and immortality. Hoping to keep the parts of the device from being found, Archer joins Armstrong on a nationwide trek from the States to the Vatican all the way to the Himalayas for the final battle. This unlikely team is all that stands in the way of total world domination! God help us all...

I had first become interested in this series from my readings of the first volume of Faith. Archer is kinda her long-distance boyfriend and I really dug the character when he would occasionally pop up in the book. Honestly. his parts were my favorite ones of Faith. 

Over time, I've been reading a few new Valiant books and been really impressed with what I read. Finding myself very happy with this publisher, I wanted to venture out and find some Archer & Armstrong, with a good starting point and the right price. Yet, my searches were in vain. 

Then a couple of months ago, I was working at the NCComicon where Valiant happened to have a booth. They had a 5 volumes for $30 bucks sale and Archer & Armstrong Volume 1 happened to be one of those books. So, I knew that was a deal that I just could not pass up. 

Fred Van Lente's (Alpha Flight) new take on the classic 'buddy cop' duo was extremely entertaining. So much that I have the remaining issues/ volumes on my wish list now! This was like a mash up of Lethal Weapon and National Treasure. A real thrill ride that I really would like to see as a movie. 

I was okay with the art by Uncanny X-Men's Clayton Henry. It was good but I'm not really a big fan of thin inks. I'm an old soul and I love those thick golden and silver age ink lines. 

Speaking of classic comics, I know that the original series of Archer & Armstrong wasn't from those classic comic eras. But I am really interested in getting my hands on those as well and comparing them to this series. Plus, I have the first volume of The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong and very soon I am going to give that book a gander as well.

Worth Consuming! 

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment