Friday, March 9, 2018

The Prisoner: Shattered Visage, Book A

2018 is the 50 year anniversary of the British cult classic, The Prisoner. Titan Comics is issuing a new miniseries in honor of the anniversary and I have already reserved my copies at my local comic book shop!

But before I get the first issue, I wanted to read this miniseries from 1988. Published by DC Comics, this miniseries was released as part of the show's 30th anniversary.
It follows a retired secret agent named Alice Drake who has decided to become an adventurer sailing the world. Her estranged husband is also an operative and wants her to come back into the fold.

Meanwhile, one of the former residents of the Village has just released a tell-all book about the Village. Yes, it's been heavily redacted and the Village project has been long retired  but the author is no other than Number 2. The same that went head-to-head with our hero Number 6 meet with disastrous consequences. But with Number 6 never being accounted for during the evacuation of the Village, Number 2 has become a loose cannon that could bring the entire spy community down to it's very knees!

It's all leading up to a collision course between Alice and the legend of the Village…

Book A was a good opening chapter. I have heard that when this miniseries was published, fans felt that this story revised most of the final episode of the series. But I'm okay with this as that final episode was also left up to the interpretation of the viewer.

The writing team of Dean Motter and Mark Askwith have in my opinion done a good job on the story thus far. But I am really in love with the artwork by Motter. From the first page, I was visually stunned! It's beautiful! And it bears that funky psychedelic style of the TV show. I can't wait for Book B!

Book B! I love it! There's no numbering in this series! It's just like Number 6! ‘I am not a number!’

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment