Saturday, March 31, 2018

Doctor Strange: The Oath


The fortress domicile of Doctor Strange has been breached. A hired hand with some knowledge of the dark arts has broken into the Sanctum Sanctorum to steal a mystical object. Strange confronted the thief. As result, the good doctor's life now hangs in the balance.

The ever faithful Wong brings the dying Sorcerer Supreme to the clinic of the Night Nurse. But time is running out for Doctor Strange’s servant as well. He's been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and the object stolen from Strange's abode was the key to curing not only Wong's cancer but all known diseases of man!

I know that Marvel fans love their writer to be named Brian. I do too, but instead of Bendis, I am a huge fan of Brian K Vaughn (Y: The Last Man.) Vaughn crafts a fantastic tale of magic, mystery and Marveldom! But I have to give my highest praise to the artist of The Oath.

Marcos Martin's style was just perfectly retro. I felt like I was looking at some lost Doctor Strange story of Steve Ditko’s. They say that Ditko is the definitive Doctor Strange artist and I agree. But I think Marcos Martin gives Ditko a definite run for his money.

I felt throughout this story that Doctor Strange’s look was based on classic horror actor Vincent Price. I didn't have confirmation of this until on the very last page of the artist's sketchbook I saw Vincent looking right back at me. I gave myself a bunch of praise for that correct call.

The Oath was a fun read with classic overtones. Based on how this story ends, I'm very interested in learning how long that change to the out of Stephen Strange played out in the comics. Just what that change was? You'll just have to read it to find out…

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment