Saturday, November 24, 2018

Hawkeye Vs. Deadpool

It's Halloween and Hawkeye isn't giving out the king sized Snickers this year.
Even worse, a desperate man shows up at his door in need of help from an
Avenger. Unfortunately, Clint Barton thinks the guy is a whack job and slams
the door in his face.


Shortly thereafter, the desperate man runs into Deadpool who's trick-or-treating
with his daughter Ellie. During that confrontation, the guy slips a data stick into
Wade's bucket right before being grisly murdered by The Punisher!?


Upon learning that the zip drive has the key to unlocking information of all
clandestined SHIELD agents, Deadpool and Hawkeye and Hawkeye team up
to find out who killed the whistleblower. Along the way they hope to recover the
stolen data. But making things difficult is the addition of Felicia Hardy, the Black
Cat and her legion of brain controlled minions dressed as superherooes. They
want the data too!


Hawkeye Vs Deadpool was another hilarious romp by Gerry Duggan. Along with
being extremely funny, it was a great cat and mouse story in the vein of 1960s era
spy movies. The addition of a second zip drive was a little bit confusing. But it was necessary for the development of the plot.


One thing I wish was that I had known if it was a Halloween set story. I would
have read this in October instead of just now. I love the very meta moment in
which the Kate Bishop Hawkeye dresses as Hawkeye from M*A*S*H*. It took
me a couple of minutes to catch on but when I got it, I was in awe of the brilliance.


When I need a pick me up, Deadpool is a good source of enjoyment and cheer.
Deadpool and the Hawkeye's make a great team up. However there was one
nagging nit that annoyed me end.


In this story, Clint Barton is deaf due to a previous encounter. He says from just
about the very beginning that he can only read lips. Yet there are countless panels
in which he is seen conversing with other characters but he's not looking at their
faces!!! If you are going to constantly remind the reader that Hawkeye can't hear
what Deadpool is saying when he wears his mask then you can't pick and
choose what Hawkeye hears! Consistency, people!


A funny read full of action and espionage. But it's got a major plot hole running
throughout. I'm a little disappointed in you Gerry Duggan. I know you are the
writer but you have a keen eye on detail. How did you miss the Hawkeye lip
reading goofs in Matteo Lolli and Jacopo Camagni's art? If all three of you would
like to try to get it right a second time in a sequel, I'll allow it. I'm sure the rest of
the Deadpool and Hawkeye legions of fans would eagerly agree.


Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment