Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thunderbolts: First Strikes

The story of a new group of superheroes who hit the scene after the deaths of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and the Fantastic Four. The very first two issues of the groundbreaking Thunderbolts are collected in this volume. Written by Kurt Busiek (Astro City) with art by Mark Bagley (Ultimate Spider-Man), it was a very good introduction to this team but I'm wondering if I had read this years ago if it might have been better.

Thunderbolts is a series that is over 20 years old. There's a twist at the end of issue; one that in it's day was shocking. Whether or not I should reveal it is something that I'm not 100% sure of doing. But let me say that in regards to reading this book in 2018, since I had already knew the twist, the impact of the first half of this book was lost on me. 

The second issue which has the Mad Thinker trying to kidnap a now orphaned Franklin Richards with the assistance of a Super Adaptoid was way better. I didn't have any pre-knowledge on that story and it was a thrilling ride. So much that I am eager to add this series to my wish list and eventually my collection. 

With an overall quite good first issue and a superb second issue, I am now a fan of the Thunderbolts. Bagley's artwork is top-notch for 1990s Marvel. In an age of overly-endowed and quite top heavy characters, the Thunderbolts look the way normal people as superheroes should be proportioned.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars, though if I was reading this at time of the original publishing, I am sure it would have been higher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment