Saturday, February 16, 2019

Che- A Graphic Biography

Underground comix legend Spain Rodriguez pens and illustrates this graphic novel biography of revolutionary Ernesto 'Che' Guavara. It's an interesting look at a character of the 20th century that I really knew very little about. 

I found this book at an independent bookstore (on discount, of course!) Being a former history major with a focus on 20th century history (especially pop culture), I figured why not learn something new. 

Here's the thing, I realize that the US has it's faults. Our country isn't perfect because it's run by imperfect people. All nations are this way. But I feel that Spain Rodriguez' view is way more skewed to being anti-American and anti-capitalism than I am pro-American. 

For example, Rodriguez mentions a couple of times how some Cuban newspapers are imprisoned or worse for making anti-Castro statements. For all that Donald Trump hates our liberal media, he's not stooped to the actions of those glorified revolutionaries that Rodriguez so hails. 

It troubled me how Spain Rodriguez maintained blinders to such actions. I appreciate that he mentions them in this historical account. But unlike all the times where he makes commentary against the US for it's dirty deeds, Rodriguez never condemns the Castro regime for their atrocities.

The art was pretty good. It had a very similar style to Rick Geary, which I rather like. But the editing of the art was not all that great. Some panels still has pencil marks that weren't properly erased during the inking process. So in some instances, the art looks blurry when it just ghosted by pencil markings not properly vanquished.

I also had some issue with how Spain Rodriguez executed his footnotes. Some are done properly in a small text box on the bottom right of the inside panel. Both about half of the footnotes were placed vertically to the right of the outside of the panel. It took me several pages to figure this inconsistency out and I had to reread several pages. 

An interesting read that is skewed way too far to the left. There's nothing centric here. Great art but the editing is irregular.

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment