Friday, February 1, 2019

My Weird But True! Fact-a-Day Fun Journal (A Family Comic Friday Extra!)


I don't really understand the concept behind page-a-day books. Are they an alternative for a calendar? If not, are you really only supposed to read just 1 page a day? Well, it's February 1st and I am reviewing the National Geographic Kids' My Weird But True Fact-a-Day Fun Journal. So, if you are thinking that I didn't follow the rules, you are absolutely right!

I've organized and maintained a reading program through my wife's medical clinic. Every once in a while, I come across a book that I want to read before I donate it. Most times it's to ensure that something is age appropriate. But this time was all about my curiosity. 

I like fact books. You can learn some really off-the-wall stuff. But having read a bunch of fact books in the past, I find myself having to cull through 9 facts I already knew before I got to a completely new one. That's not the case here. With information about weird holidays, gross bugs, yummy sweets and more, I actually learned quite a bit of new stuff! 

One cool thing about this book is that each day has children doing some sort of activity. Some things are as simple as answering a question like 'If you were a dog, what type would you be and why?' Other days have you drawing a picture of your favorite food. In others, you are challenged, like to come up with as many words as possible from the words 'Valentine's Day.' I felt like I was reading an issue of Highlights!

The book is set up like a journal. Meaning, the reader is supposed to write in the book their thoughts and feelings. In order to give a complete review, I made sure to do the activities. But I did not write in the book. I'm donating this to a child in a low-income family. No way am I going to give them an already written in book. 

This is a cool book for parents and kids. Weird facts are always the best! But like myself, I find it impossible that many kids are going to only one page per day. There might be that one kid. The one whose never late to class or out sick from school. But other than that, all the other children are going to enjoy the heck outta this book in a day or two flat!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment