Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Garfield #7

I'm in such a great holiday mood that I can't wait for the Turkey Day fun to start! So I went online to a favorite online comic book shop and I bought some Thanksgiving themed books. I've got 10! Thus last night was my first holiday themed read!

I started thing off with Garfield #7. The cover obviously isn't holiday themed. (To be fair- the variant cover was but it wasn't available for sale.) And the first story has nothing to do with the fourth Thursday in November. But the second story took place during Thanksgiving! So I'll just ease into the holidays with this one...

In the first story, a adorable alley cat ponders just why is Garfield so popular while he's got to fend for himself in the trash. Could it be because Garfield sleeps all the time? Maybe because he puts competitive eaters too shame? No matter what, this precious puddy tat is going to get to the bottom of this quandary!

Story two, the Thanksgiving themed tale, has Garfield eating himself into a food coma. As a result, the fat cat dreams that it's Turkey Day everyday. Things seem like a dream that is until Garfield runs across his evil twin double. Now it's a nightmare as a group of hungry gobblers have put cat on the Thanksgiving menu.

Both stories were rather clever. Mark Evanier (New Gods) doesn't take himself quite so seriously in the writing duties. Which is a good thing. Because I've really felt that Garfield creator Jim Davis has really gotten dull with his Sunday funnies. Maybe Davis needs to put Evanier in charge from now on?

That alley cat story was a little sad. Mostly because everybody notices the little fella. But nobody knows his name. Being nameless and alone was just so heartbreaking to me. So I've decided that his name is Mervin! And if Mervin came to my front door, I'd adopt him in a heartbeat. (Having 6 cats already be darned!)

A great gradual entry into Thanksgiving.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment