Thursday, January 26, 2023

Parks and Recreation


I want to take some time and talk about the TV show Parks and Recreation or Parks and Rec as it's more commonly known. In the past month, I've kinda discovered the show. When it first aired from 2009-2015 I didn't watch it because A) my wife wasn't interested and B) it was supposed to be like The Office and I didn't like The Office. Maybe it was all part of God's timing to not watch the show then as currently I've most certainly needed it now. In fact, I think I can truly say that Parks and Rec saved my life. 

The return to school after Winter Break has certainly been grueling. I'm starting to think it's criminal to expect students to pick up after 2 weeks of being off from school and expect them to finish off the 2nd quarter and first semester. Both Q2 and S1 should end before taking time off for Christmas! Adding to the stress of trying to get students to 'finish hard', it's Cold-Flu-COVID-and-RSV season. Some days, I only see half of my class-load as they are either out sick or can't come to school because we don't have enough bus drivers. 

We also don't have enough teachers. Every day since after Thanksgiving we've had 10-15 teachers out sick. Our district can't get enough subs. So the teachers are expected to fill in. I'm trying to run a department and doing my very best to hold boundaries to saying no. Because if I don't, I'll never get my lesson planning and other class needs meet. But it makes me feel guilty. Budget concerns, threats of violence daily and everyone being angry has taken its toll. Yesterday, I started having chest pains.

I really think if I hadn't been watching Parks and Rec, I would have had a stress related heart attack or a stroke. The NBC series starring Amy Poehler (SNL), Nick Offerman (the voice of Axe Cop) and Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy) has helped me laugh for one thing. It's also kept me out of a funk. There's been days I've gotten home, just wishing to crawl into bed and sleep. Instead, I flip on my Chromecast and I watch a mini marathon of episodes. Having my wonderful and warm gatos crawl up in my lap has been the icing on the cake. 

Parks and Rec is about the government in a bizarre, small town called Pawnee, Indiana. Everything and everyone in Pawnee is completely insane. Bureaucracy is literally a mishmash of bad ideas, outdated laws and the uneducated, superstitious and OBESE townsfolk allow this craziness to continue. There's a major employer, a candy company called Sweetums, that is polluting and poisoning the town with its delicious but poorly made confections. Add in the oddball town traditions, unusual businesses and attacking throngs of raccoons and possums. Everything makes Pawnee feel like a live action version of the town of Springfield from The Simpsons. 

I hear that the current ABC TV show Abbott Elementary is rather good. But being a teacher, I think if I watched that show it would feel too much like work and make me angry. Parks and Rec touches the public educational system just enough that the stupefying and unfair aspects of local government don't upset me. I can escape and laugh while watching this show. I can also relate, as my hands are tied with some rather silly sounding guidelines that basically prevent me from conducting a role as an instructor and instead place me in a position of an overpaid babysitter. In those regards, I feel like main character Leslie Knope, who for 6 years (so far!) still can't turn an abandoned lot into a community park.

I wish I was more like Ron Swanson. Played by Nick Offerman, Swanson is the Libertarian head of the Parks and Rec department. His laisse-faire and don't care attitude about things is something I need to do with my work. I'm putting too much into it and getting no return. (Okay- that might not be 100% true. But I sure feel this way a lot!) Plus, Ron Swanson steals the show!

I typically don't talk much about my work life on this blog as we've been warned that doing so can be a fireable offence. But I've not disclosed the name of the school system in which I work, I haven't lied or bad-mouthed it either. So I think this small thank you to a TV show that has helped me through a very tough time recently is okay therapy. Plus, I'm saving all the juicy stuff for my book that I write when I retire!

Oh. The chest pains! Saw a doctor today. EKG and other tests were rather promising. It's all stress related. Hopefully, a new, small dose of medication will help me out on that.

Episodes of Parks and Rec air regularly on IFC and can be accessed through YoutubeTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment