Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Superman '78

Say what you might about the Christopher Reeve Superman films, I love them. I know that the SFX hasn't aged very well and that people hate movies III and IV.  Yet, from 1978-1987, I believed that a man could fly, thanks in very large part from Richard Donner and the Salkinds. In 1995 when Reeve had his riding accident and was paralyzed from the neck down, I cried. Yet, for the last 9 years of his life, Mr. Reeve continued to be my hero as he became a spokesman for the disabled. Even now, in my mid-40s, I get chills when I hear just a few notes of John Williams' electric score!

So a couple of years ago when I learned that DC would be continuing the adventures of the Chris Reeve Superman, I jumped for joy. I've been a huge fan of the Batman '66 series and the very brief Wonder Woman '77 series was pretty darn good too. I was so enamored with these series based on the old school TV versions of DC characters I grew up watching on the small screen, that I started calling for the premier of other childhood favs like Superman '78 here!

The story takes place sometime between the first and third Superman films. Based on events that take place, this book may very well occur right after the events of Superman II. Though I am not sure quite where to place this story on the Superman movie timeline, I know that this book is very much part of that cinematic universe. 

Right off the bat, it's the artwork that awestruck me. The Quantum Age's Wilfredo Torres executes perfection with his pencils. Superman/Clark Kent looks like Christopher Reeve. And there are actors Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder and Jackie Cooper as Lex Luthor, Lois Lane and Perry White respectively. Thrown in cameos of famous stars from the 1970s like the cast of Barney Miller and I was in total 70s memory lane geek mode. Although, could somebody explain to me why the very 1980s Goonies gang pop up in a cameo in this and not say, Michael Gray and Les Tremayne from 1974-76's Shazam! TV show?

Another thing that sold me on Torres' art was how he styled the newcomer to this universe, Brainiac! Wilfredo Torres utilizes 50 years of DC history with the visuals of the android villain. When Brainiac first arrives on planet earth, he utilized Ed Hannigan's iconic silver robot design from the early 80s. But when Superman comes face-to-face with Brainy, we are introduced to Otto Binder and Al Plastino's green skin and purple robed version from 1958. Really, no stone was left unturned with this book.

Robert Venditti (Hawkman) penned a story that gave respect to the 1970s and 80s Superman films while adding nuanced tributes to the stories that inspired the 1978 film and later birth further Man of Steel lore past the dawn of the 21st century. I very much want more of this universe and I hope DC hasn't shut the door on further such endeavors.

I know that DC just capped a Batman '89 mini series and I so look forward to getting my hands on that. But I really want to see Shazam! '74, The Flash '90 and Swamp Thing '82! Heck, I'm going to throw it out there: I want an Adventures of Superman '52 and even a Batman and Robin '49! I love this nostalgia thing DC has going on and as long as talent like Venditti, Torres and colorist Jordie Bellaire (Quantum and Woody) are involved, I will make it a part of my comic book readings!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment