Thursday, January 5, 2023

A Year of Marvels

In 2016, Marvel Comics released 5 one-shots devoted to the holidays as seen through the eyes of the Marvel Universe. The holidays were occasions like Valentines Day, April Fools and Father's Day. Holidays that don't get the specials treatment. There was even a story about a holiday from Japan that I had never even heard of. 

When these holiday single issues were released, I thought it was a great idea. But when Marvel didn't release a 6th one-shot devoted to celebrations in the months of November and December, I was sorely disappointed. Marvel had missed out on executing a brilliant year-long plan. And thus, I kinda lost interest in collecting the whole run.

My interest was revived a few months ago when I found a copy of A Year of Marvels at a used book story for only $1! This book collected the floppies devoted to January-October. Along with those 5 one-shots, there were 3 never before published holiday specials. From Marvel Unlimited's Infinite line, I got to break bread with the Punisher in a Veteran's Day/Thanksgiving epic. Robbie Reyes returned to the City of Angels and helped me to believe in Santa. And I rang in the new year with radio host, Charlamange Tha God over at Avengers Tower.

That those last 3 stories appear in this book is proof that Marvel can indeed take all of their digital holiday specials and sell them in print form! DC does this kind of thing all the time. Why won't Marvel? There's like 30 Thanksgiving and Christmas Infinite specials that I haven't read and I gladly pay some good money for a holiday omnibus. I really think Marvel owes its fans this since in the past 5 years, the only Christmas related special released by the House of Ideas was a Star Wars Life Day one-shot. Don't get me wrong- I appreciated that amazing issue. But Marvel has been a Scrooge for a very, very long time towards it's fans of floppies. 

The stories and artwork of the 5 main volumes were good. But with such a spread of artists and writers, the level of quality was varied. The Punisher story was poignant and amazing. I loved the Ghost Rider Christmas story. Though I hated how a poor little defenseless kitty who is being abused by a brat. I love that Robbie Reyes frees the kitten and threatens the bully. But if you look closely in that story, this monster has abused other animals before. And that just bothered me. That story was written by Method Man of the Wu-Tang Clan and he could write for Marvel any day in my opinion.

As for the NYE story by Charlamange Tha God, it was horrible. I think this is where fans can point to Axel Alonzo's failed experiment to basically insult and alienate any comic book reader who was white, male, conservative, Christian, and wealthy. I know that CTA is very popular and he's got followers. But he should stick to radio and since his story is nearly a decade old it thankfully appears that the celebrity did just that. 

You might like to collect single issues only. But this is one of those times you might want to reconsider as this collection completes the full year A Year of Marvels that never actually came to fruition. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars 




No comments:

Post a Comment