Friday, January 6, 2023

Uncle Scrooge, Vol. 2: The Grand Canyon Conquest! (Family Comic Friday)

I think the older I get the more I fall in love with Uncle Scrooge. I've been a fan since seeing Mickey's Christmas Carol in theaters in 1983. My fandom shot up higher when Scrooge became the star of Disney's Ducktales and I got an original sketch of the character made from one of the animators. I tried really hard to enjoy the works that Ducktales was based on. But the tale
nts of the amazing Carl Barks and Don Rosa were just too sophisticated for a childhood aged Madman. 

Now in my mid-40s, I'm returning to those Disney Duck classics. That's why I checked this IDW publication out from my local library. The back cover said that the works that comprised this volume are 'classic stories.' However, there's no Don Rosa, Carl Barks or any of the other legends that created over 80 years worth of Duckburg lore. At least not to American audiences!

The stories that comprise this volume are taken from Italian and Scandinavian Disney publications over the past 5 decades. While new comics starring your favorite Disney characters is a rather rare thing in the States, Mickey, Goofy and especially Donald are still going strong throughout the globe!

There are a number of stories starring Uncle Scrooge and his nephews in this book. The title story sees the nephew of one of Scrooge's old business partners coming to Duckburg to claim his half of all of McDuck's business ventures. With some antique papers in hand, the nephew has legal right to half of Scrooge's vast fortune. But the billionaire bird claims he and the heir's uncle came to a new agreement afterwards and now Scrooge, Donald, Huey, Dewey and Louie must find the missing relative before the Scrooge's new partner can!

Wacky inventory, Gyro Gearloose is the star of a couple of stories in this collection as well. In one, Donald takes Gyro on a ski-trip to relax from all overload of work. Yet, the frazzled inventor just can't stop tinkering in his free time. Then it's Gyro's year to host an annual inventor's picnic and he's got to come up with a fantastic invention. Only Gyro keeps getting interrupted by Scrooge and friends with side projects. But when a massive rainstorm threatens to flood the whole event, those side projects might just save the day. 

IDW Publishing owned the rights to release the international Disney stories to American audiences from 2015-2020. Not sure who owns those rights now, but that's not my point. When IDW first started publishing these publications, they were translated from other languages and something was a tad off. This volume is a pretty early collection and yet, I didn't feel like anything was confusing this time around.

The Disney stories of the 40s, 50s and early 60s are pretty long and that can be a little off putting for younger readers. With the exception of the first story, the other tales were rather bite-sized. With its vivid and colorful artwork and creative storytelling, kids will really like this book. Though I feel like the adults will love it! I want to read more of these and I hate that my local library doesn't have any more of these to check out. Guess I'll be buying some volumes on Amazon!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment