Thursday, January 19, 2023

Star Trek 400th issue

This oversized special marks the 400th total issue based on the Star Trek Universe to be produced by IDW Publishing. In a year that will mark the end of several big name franchises being published by IDW, it doesn't look like Star Trek is going anywhere.

This issue features stories and artwork from just about every sector on the Star Trek Universe. The original series is represented as is the Kelvin timeline. There's a story starring Miles O'Brien that dives into the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and a brief period of time when the Enterprise C was still functioning. We visit Jean-Luc in his after years with a special appearance by a character that I thought was in one place but has returned to another role. (Look, I don't wanna spoil it, okay?) Even the crew of the Lower Decks are represented. Yet once again- NO Star Trek Enterprise

Is it too much to ask for a series, let alone just a single 8-page story starring Captain Archer and his crew? I've looked around and around and I just can't find proof that there's ever been a series featuring the Enterprise NX-01. And why is that? Will Scott Bakula not give permission to use his image in a comic? I think that is unlikely as he didn't seem to have any issue with a Quantum Leap comic in the early 90s. Plus, I don't think any of the other characters are big enough stars to merit derailing such a book from getting the greenlight. So why is this series considered to be the crazy uncle nobody thinks about except at Thanksgiving?

Star Trek: Discovery is also covered in this book. But the story is a mystery to me. It stars a character named Kayla Detmer. So far, so good. She's crashed landed on a planet with a Klingon. Again, I'm good. But both Kayla and the Klingon are flying miniature versions of the Discovery and something called a Cleave ship. And why is that? Is it like a shuttle craft? I've seen variant covers of other Discovery characters flying tiny versions of the experimental starship and I don't understand why. If anyone could solve this mystery for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

This issue wraps up with a sneak peak at a new series that promises to look ahead to the future. Simply titled Star Trek, this new series explores 2 things I've greatly been looking forward to- the resurrection of Mr. Data and the return of Benjamin Sisko! I'll have to wait just a little bit longer. With a $4.99 per issue price tag, I will wait for the trade. But I will read this! PROMISE!

A good representation of the Star Trek Universe. Not great as it's not a complete representation of the franchise. Plus, there's not a single blurb of thanks or gratitude to creator Gene Roddenberry. Though the late Nichelle Nicols, who passed earlier last year, is given a single page tribute. And there's the fact that I didn't understand all the aspects of the stories based on the newer properties. But that's okay. I'm looking forward to the continuing voyages that IDW has in store for the future.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment