Wednesday, June 21, 2023

V #17

With this issue and issue #18, I was able to get writer Paul Kupperburg to autograph these at a Con. I always felt bad for Kupperberg afterwards because when I handed these issues to him, the scribe exclaimed, 'I always have a habit of writing the last issues.' At least he didn't mind signing these unlike a certain X-Men legend when I asked him to sign an homage cover.

As I mentioned in the last issue review, issues #17 & 18 are set before issue #16, which due to the sudden cancellation of the series, became the last official of the original V storyline. This 'flashback' issues had been teased for a while and editor Marv Wolfman wanted to make sure that subscribers got their money's worth and for the writers and artists of these books to get properly paid. Thus, in a very non-DC manner (I.E. Cancelled Comics Cavalcade), V was given a 2-issue reprieve from cancellation. 

After reading this issue, I've got to ask- why didn't DC make issue #16 the last issue instead of this story? This story which features Elias, the fallen owner of the Creole Club, who is still alive in this two-parter. Things occur right after the destruction of his beloved business. Which I think happened around issue #8, or so. 

In the midst of the clean-up, a woman from Elias' past returns. Things did end well between the two and now there's very good evidence that this lady might be a Visitor spy. 

Meanwhile, Ham and Chris are still in Los Angeles and they've got something big in the wings. It involves a stolen shuttle and a bomb that might be able to do some serious damage to Diana's mothership. As this is a flashback episode, we all know that nothing comes from this plan. So it's all really kinda a letdown. 

Here's the thing about this being a flashback. For several issues, this story has been built up as a major untold tale in the life of Elias. From the cover, I was expecting this to be entirely before the events of the first V miniseries. I figured we'd see a whole bunch in Elias' life before it was upended by visiting Visitors. I don't think we even get a single panel of Elias and his ex's life before the war. 

So it's really a thrill ride comedown that could have been handled a whole lot differently in my opinion. 

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment