Monday, June 26, 2023

The Flash (2023)

It's June 26th, 2023 when I write this. It's just too early to go into too much detail about the newest DC Comics based film, The Flash. If I was to dig too deep into my review, I would spoil countless plot surprises, Easter eggs and cameos. 

Here's what I do feel safe in revealing: 

  • It was so much fun!
  • Now this is how you do a live action retelling of Geoff John's Flashpoint!
  • You will believe that a Maid of Might can be a brunette!
  • Michael Keaton steals the entire film!
  • The use of Danny Elfman's timeless score brought back nostalgic memories of 1989 and 1992!
  • I love the twist on a couple of Elseworlds classics by having
    WARNING: REDACTED!!!!!
What I really want to talk about is where are the movie goers? I've heard reports that The Flash is a box office bomb. In terms of what my god son and I spent about 2.5 hours watching, I completely disagree with that statement. That being said, at the 1pm showing today there were a grand total of 2 people watching the movie- my god son and me. 

Really, I don't think it's DC and Warner Bros. who are to blame. There were maybe a dozen other viewers at the theater we went to and the complex has at least 7 other screening rooms. It was literally a cinematic ghost town over there and I feel that prices are to blame.

2 tickets were $13.00 total. The nacho combo, 2 Reese's Pieces and a small drink was $34.50! I don't think director Andres Muschietti has a bomb on his hands. I think it's just too expensive to go to the movies!

Some analysts have suggested that actor Ezra Miller's off-screen antics, including charges of kidnapping, allegations of grooming and a temper that would make Sean Penn look tame is to blame for The Flash's poor performance. I'll admit, those actions did run through my mind a couple of times watching the film. However, I also feel that Cancel Culture is dangerous and completely against my religious and personal beliefs 

Yes, I have gotten caught up in the fervor. I see an actor getting in trouble with the law and I immediately think- 'Well, he's cancelled.' But I also live in total fear in my teaching job that one day a false accusation will result in my being blackballed from ever getting a decent paying salary ever again. I also know that the human race is flawed. Nobody is perfect. There's a difference between making a mistake and being forgiven and trying to prevent a monster from roaming the streets free at night to ruin countless lives. Ezra Miller claims he sought treatment and therapy and I believe that I would be wrong to not give the guy another chance as I surely would want grace in my imperfect life.

Another possible reason the film isn't doing so well in theaters is the toxicity of the DC Comics fan base (Heck, it could comic book fandom as a whole). I've seen some postings that real DC fans aren't going to see in the movie. I've read that those who hate the Snyder-verse are boycotting this film. And that there's a pushback from some fans pissed off about James Gunn being the new head of the DC Cinematic Universe. As the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy director basically had nothing to do with this film, I think that last excuse is ridiculous. 

Like I mentioned earlier, it's June 26th. The Flash came out 10 days ago. Why did I wait until now? Was I one of the toxic few? Nope. It just happened to my god son went to Florida to visit his mom and I was on a family vacation at the beach during opening weekend. We had to wait until our schedules gelled. Some DC fans might still be mad at us for waiting until now. But that's their problem. 

I loved this movie. It was almost perfect. The only issue was how fake some of the CGI looked. Especially when Flash goes into the Speed Force to change time and save his mom from being murdered. I'm also not a big fan of how all super hero films like to use slow-mo when doing big impressive feats of heroics. But in the case of The Flash, it actually was appropriate and in a major scene at the beginning when Flash is saving some patients at a hospital, it was freakin' hilarious. 

An immediate classic, regardless of what critics and the box office says.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment