Thursday, November 2, 2023

Bill and Ted's Day of the Dead #1

I got this special last year. AFTER November 1st. I'm not really sure why publishers released holiday books after the event is over. It seems to defeat the purpose of celebrating, if you ask me. Though shipping delays could have something to do with it. But I'm really sure that I saw that release date for this book in Previews being for after Day of the Dead, 2022 had come and gone. At least I had it to read for the 2023 festivities!

The town of San Dimas really knows how to celebrate! It's the annual celebration of Dia de los Muertos and the Wyld Stallyns have been invited to perform a set during the festivities. Before their set, Bill and Ted enjoy some good food, make some decorations and meet a pair of beauties in calaveras make-up who have built an elaborate shrine for their ancestors. Inspired by the shrine, Bill and Ted go back in time to bring back several icons of Mexican history including acclaimed artist Frida Kahlo and Aztec Emperor Montezuma!

Then in the back-up story, longtime Bill and Ted antagonist Chuck De Nomolos escapes from his prison in the year 2721. It just happens that the day De Nomolos makes his prison break, it's also Day of the Dead. With everyone dressed like Death, De Nomolos has a tragic break from reality, fearing another melvin from the Grim Reaper.

I liked the first story except for the fact that Bill and Ted essentially cheat on their girlfriends in this story. Both acknowledge that they still are in love with their princess girlfriends but they also want to get to know those cute celebrants better too. That 'harmless flirting' was just beyond the pale for me.

I didn't really like the De Nomolos story. In fact, it's inclusion was a bit startlingly. I had forgotten all about the character who debuted in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Plus the image of a dead Chuck De Nomolos looked nothing like actor Joss Ackland. I had thought that some non-related back-up story had been added at first and was really puzzled as to why Opus Comics didn't add another Bill & Ted story to this book. Thankfully, by page 2, I understood what was going on. But it really felt like I was reading 2 different comics at first.

That second story had a touching tribute to the late George Carlin, who played Rufus, the time-travelling mentor to Bill and Ted. I hadn't realized he died all the way back in 2008. I would have said he had only been deceased since maybe 2019. 2018, at the most. 

Another thing that stunned me was the advertisement for the Bill & Ted's Excellent Holiday Special. How did I miss this? I really don't remember this and I am 99.8% certain that I didn't pick a copy of this up at my favorite LCS. I recently did a deep dive through my pile of new purchases that I have yet to bag or add to my collection and I didn't come across this book. So I might have something to add to my holiday comics wish list. 

This book is full of Day of the Dead festivities. But those two tales are as different as night and day. Also, I couldn't stand how Bill and Ted acted with their girlfriends away at space camp. No wonder they all had to go to a marriage counselor in Bill & Ted Face the Music. I'm very glad to see Dia de los Muertos getting some comic book love and the time travel antics of the guys was great. It just didn't feel true to the Bill & Ted franchise.

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment