Monday, November 27, 2023

Silent Night, Deadly Night #4

The sequel to the 1984 holiday horror classic comes to an end in this issue. I'm rather excited about it. For one thing, even though this miniseries erases SNDN 2 & 3 from canon, what unfolds in this issue prevents those events from being completely wiped from existence. See in those 2 sequels, Billy Chapman's little brother succumbs to his PTSD over his brother being a sadistic killer, so when Ricky gets college aged, he too wears a Santa costume and dispenses justice against those he declares 'Naughty.' In this official comics sequel, Ricky undergoes years of therapy, terrified by demented visions of becoming a psycho killer like big brother Billy. 

In other words, the events of parts 2 and 3 took place in Ricky's head! 

In my review of issue #4, I mentioned that I had a theory as to why Billy's eyes were turning as black as the coal on a snowman. Well, I was right about that, although what Billy turns into is never officially named. It's never explained why one of the kids at the orphanage where Billy and Ricky stayed as youths, undergoes a similar transition. But the way this story ends, things are set up for a sequel. And I'm okay with that! 

There's a couple of great twists to this story. Two great jump scares; one of which shocked the heck out of me and this was a comic book. Not a live action film! And though the artwork was pretty gory, it again was an improvement from those very rough first two issues.

The story ending is just satisfyingly enough that if the story ends here, I could live with it. But there's a promise of a sequel. I don't think it's going to happen this year as I don't see anything on the horizon. That too I would be okay with as you don't want to beat a dead horse. Even though that's probably exactly what Billy Chapman would do.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment