Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Vision and the Scarlet Witch #5

At the end of the last issue, I saw that this story was going to be set at Halloween! And I actually cheered! Yes, I like to read my holiday themed comics during the season in which the action takes place. But as the next issue is why I waited until now to read the two Vision and the Scarlet Witch minis, I decided to just enjoy the ride!

In this issue, it's Halloween night and Wanda is about to perform a ritual in order to communicate with her deceased mentor, Agatha Harkness. However, as Wanda's powers are currently tied-up with producing a miracle baby from her mutant DNA and Vision's synthetic material, the expelling of magic opens the Scarlet Witch up to attack from those who wish to siphon her powers- from beyond the grave!

Meanwhile, Vision, who has left Wanda at home to conduct her seance, enjoys a night out on the town. He's the special guest of his new friends Glamour and Illusion, who are putting on a special Halloween magic show. During the presentation, Vision experiences what can only be a disturbance in the Force. Agatha Harkness makes contact with the former Avenger, warning him of supernatural threats to Wanda and her unborn child. For a once thought vanquished foe from Wanda and Vision's earliest days on Leonia, New Jersey seeks to make the child a new vessel of their evil in hopes of once again conquering the earth.

If you're a regular reader of my blog, which is also my reading journal, then you'll know that while I like stories about the supernatural, I have a limitation on how much magic and arcane spirits a story can have. This Halloween issue almost crossed that line. Not a fan of seances or making contacts with the dead. Demons are definitely not my thing. I hate things that are possessed. I think if the Scarlet Witch hadn't defeated the foe when she had, I might have had to throw this book away. 

The story and art have quality. It's the quantity of the contents that put me off. I enjoyed the holiday themed and the parts with the Vision were quite good. It was just a bit too occultish for my taste.

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment