Thursday, November 23, 2023

Guardians of the Galaxy #1

After the events of Annihilation, the Guardians of the Galaxy have decided to take a break from things. Only, another universal threat has manifested. This time, Zeus and several cybernetically enhanced Greek gods have turned Mount Olympus into a warship that can transverse time and space. In order to power it, Mount Olympus must terraform planets at a level of destruction on par with Galactus. Normally the Nova Corps would answer the call to action. However, what happened in Annihilation led to the the Corps' membership to dwindle down to just two!

Richard Ryder comes to the Guardians for help. Tired, wore out and still recovering from their part of the battle, the Guardians decline. Except, the decision eats at both Peter Quill and Rocket who both sneak away to join the small team of Nova Corps, plus Moondragon and an Captain Marvel from another universe to stop these Greek gods from destroying the universe!

Marvel.com claimed that this issue was a Thanksgiving set issue. While Peter Quill does make a turkey for his friends at the beginning of this issue, he doesn't wish anybody a Happy Thanksgiving or anything like that. There are a couple jokes about how the turkey looks weird, which is funny based on the odd stuff Gamora and the other Guardians are preparing for their cookout. After like 3 pages, the turkey is gone, Nova comes asking for help and the story picks up steam from there. So, is this a Thanksgiving comic? I'm gonna say 'No!'

First of all, Thanksgiving is never mentioned anywhere. This variant cover nor the regular cover shows a Turkey Day gathering or any sort. Other than Marvel.com listing this as part of their Thanksgiving reads, I don't see evidence of this issue being a holiday book. Even the Marvel Wiki is noticeably quiet on this plot point. Maybe I got some bad advice. If so, that makes me nervous as I recently bought 3 other issues suggested from that online article. What if those comics aren't really set during Thanksgiving either? I'm going feel like I wasted my money.

The good thing is that I enjoyed this issue. Al Ewing's opening salvo was very action packed. I really wouldn't mind getting my hands on the rest of this storyline. But I think I'd only get it if I could check it out at the library or if I could find the trades for super cheap.

Worth Consuming. But boy was I disappointed.

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment