Monday, September 7, 2026

Let's Make Ramen!: A Comic Book Cookbook

For once I bought a graphic novel and it was my wife who thought that I had already read it. Let's Make Ramen! is a fully illustrated cookbook about the growing culinary art of making the traditional Japanese noodle and broth dish that isn't fully a soup but it's too liquid to be considered a noodle dish.

The book came out in 2019. I definitely remember putting this on my wishlist that year. (It would be hilarious if my wife actually bought this for me and forgot where she hid it.) Anyway, at a recent trip to Five Below, I found this book for an amazing fraction of the cover price. With an exclamation of 'SCORE!', I swept it up in my arms and promptly made my way to the checkout.

The book is written by Hugh Amano a Japanese American whose exploration of his Asian culture became enamored with the Cult of Ramen and later became inspired to be a chef. Illustrated by Sarah Becon, the artist met Amano while working on a culinary related comic book. Finding a kindred spirit, the pair created this illustrated manual devoted to everything ramen. 

In Let's Make Ramen!, you first get a history of the dish, which compared to sushi, is a dish that is relatively young. Not more than 150 years old, I think. Then you are introduced to a basic recipe. Once you master this dish, you've got the foundation to change up the dish to your liking. There are variations of the stock, the seasoning component known as 'tare', different types of protein, vegetable accouterments, and even different types of noodles! Yes, you can use thicker, broader noodles that resemble linguine. You're also educated on the equipment needed, methods of preparation and storage. 

This really is an all-encompassing work which does more in educating a reader in only 192 pages, than most massive culinary bibles do. The only thing really missing is a more in-depth lesson in sanitation of which the Japanese culture is known for. But, I think that's the culinary educator in me that is longing for that in the realm of food entertainment because it's an issue that is seriously lacking on Food Network and in most, if not all cookbooks.

This book has inspired me. I'm seriously considering doing a lab where half my class makes chicken noodle soup and the other make a more stripped down version of ramen with teriyaki chicken. Then we compare and contrast the two. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd spend a whole week making the basic ramen recipe. But it's just not feasible.

Honestly, I don't think that the average family has the time nor the budget to do everything all at once. So be willing to make one item at a time. Buy some nice plastic containers and freeze things. Focus on stock first. Use a basic package of cheap ramen noodles for a while. Then work your way up to making your own ramen noodles. Add some pre-made Japanese proteins. Then once happy with the noodles, practice on the proteins, and so on and so on. Freezing along the way, eventually you will have everything ready for testing out the final product, created by your hands!

Time. Patience. The ability to adjust. A spark of customization. If you have these 4 elements in your culinary arsenal, you'll soon become another ramen master. Consider this cookbook a marathon and not a quick trek around the block, and you'll get the very most possible out of this graphic novel cookbook.

Worth Consuming!

Rating:10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment