Saturday, September 26, 2026

Planet of the Apes Vs Fantastic Four #1

I know that with my mystery blood disease that I've been really behind on keeping up with the new releases. But how did I miss this one?!

From earlier this year, Planet of the Apes Vs Fantastic Four is a 4-issue mini co-published by 20th Century Fox and Marvel. As much as Disney's monolithic acquisition of studios and franchises alarm many, I appreciate how we're getting crossovers that 5-10-20 years ago would have been unthinkable. Some crossovers aren't that very hard to pair together. Having a Predator stalking prey in downtown New York City and battling Earth's Mightiest Heroes in an effort to take the perfect hunter down isn't as big of a stretch as the pairing of apes and Marvel's First Family. They're from 2 totally different universes. But writer Josh Trujillo actually found a way to make it work.

Our story begins at the Baxter Building. The former Soviet supervillain, Crimson Ghost and his band of super smart simians infiltrate the home of the FF in search of a device called a Di-Quantum Stabilizer. Somehow the Crimson Ghost learned of the existence of a world where apes are the dominant species over man and the Commie wants in on the action. (As the villain once maintained operations on the moon, I suspect that he learned of the Planet of the Apes from his one-time lunar neighbor, Uatu the Watcher.)

The Crimson Ghost finds the device and in battle with Mr. Fantastic, he activates it. Only instead of himself and his monkey minions going through the inter-dimensional portal, it's the Fantastic Four who are sucked through!

Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben find themselves on a semi-arid planet. Instead of being covered in rocks, Ben Grimm is back in his flesh and blood form. Reed cannot stretch. The only thing hot about Johnny Storm is his temper. The Fantastic Four have lost their cosmic powers and they better figure out things fast because they soon find themselves captured by the gorilla soldiers of General Ursus and in front of the tribunal of Dr. Zaius, facing a death sentence!

I loved this opening chapter. It had the feel of that 1968 original sci-fi classic. I especially loved how you get an opening scene of about 3-4 pages and them boom! There's this amazing splash page that is an homage to the '68 theatrical poster. If ever a comic book needed a soundtrack, it's this one. Though in my head, those iconic drums from the opening theme played in THX surround sound in my head.

There's a fantastic twist that occurs right before the not-so surprising cliffhanger reveal. The cover kinda spoils the cliffhanger. As for the twist, you'll find out on the cover of issue #2. So you can't blame me for letting that cat out of the bag. 

I cannot wait to read it. This has been a nearly flawless crossover this far.

Rating 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment