2011's Marvel Point One isn't as coveted as the following year's Marvel NOW! Point One. The 2012 one-shot marks the very first appearance of Kamala Kahn, who will become Ms. Marvel. I'm very fortunate to have gotten a copy of that book in a grab bag and have it graded. But that doesn't mean that this issue doesn't have any resell value also.
This issue bears the first appearance of the Sam Alexander Nova. Kaine Parker, the clone of Peter Parker, takes up the mantle of the Scarlet Spider for the first time. Plus, there's the only and only appearance of twin siblings Coldmoon and Dragonfire. Don't know who those last two are? Don't worry, I didn't either.
Further research says that the yin and yang siblings were supposed to be the main characters for a new video game aimed at the Chinese market. This issue was to be their formalization into established Marvel canon. But the game got cancelled and plans for Coldmoon and Dragonfire to become the newest members of the Avengers was quietly scrapped.
You might be wondering just how do you explain these two characters saving Earth's Mightiest Heroes and then just never seeing the light of day ever again. Turns out that the framing story by Ed Brubaker presents every story as either the happenings of an alternate Earth or being part of a possible Earth-616 reality.
A pair of mysterious men in indecipherable spacesuits have infiltrated the lunar sanctuary of the Watcher. Every 3 years, Oatu goes catatonic for precisely 42 minutes. During this time, anyone can enter the Watcher's domain undetected. These infiltrators are looking for some key piece of information about a future cataclysmic event and while searching for that data, they encounter those events that may or may not ever come to pass.
This special was designed to give new and established readers a starting point for the events that would take place over the course of 2012. A look at the Age of Apocalypse and Steven Strange's newest lineup of Defenders are also shown in these pages. The over-arching action occurring on the Moon would be the starting off point for the year-long maxi-series event Original Sin, which I think I own the whole thing but haven't read it yet.
I can't believe I was so dumb. I looked up just who were the 2 guys in spacesuits trespassing Uatu's compound. The main character is never mentioned by name. But he does call his partner Andrew. Andrew it turns out isn't important. In fact, I don't think he ever turns up again. As for the leader, I'll give you a couple of hints: he's one of my favorite non-super powered Marvel characters and he is a major player in the events of Original Sin. Once I figured out who it was, I was smacking myself upside the head because I couldn't believe that I couldn't figure out who it was!!!
A good story, of only to motivate me to read Original Sin after my Halloween 2026 reads are completed. I have no interest in following up on the return to AoA. I don't think I really care about the new Nova. Scarlet Spider? Maybe if I found the books at my local library. But the Defenders book has been on my radar for a while. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger on that one.
I probably won't get this one graded as I have a slew of other books I would like to see get the treatment that are way front in line of this book. But it's something I will be holding on to!
Worth Consuming!
Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment